Saturday, September 29, 2012

Praying {Intentionally}

Prayer. Its such a comfort to know we can go to our Heavenly Father any time of the day or night and talk to him, cry to him, praise Him and lift our lives to Him. Prayer plays a huge role in my life. Many times throughout the day I might just offer up a simple one sentence prayer while going about my day. Sometimes I say it out loud, sometimes just in my heart. Breathtaking to think that we can always do this. And more importantly? He loves it when we do and He longs for it! We have a God who loves relationship, He adores it!

Each night while I lay with my older son, once my baby is down, I rub his back and pray for both my boys. For their lives. For their health. For their career choices. That God would place amazing and godly mentors along their life path as He has done for me. For their spouses. That they would choose Him. Glorify Him. The list goes on and on. My heart overflows every night as I lay there with gratitude, with thanksgiving that He has given me another day with my boys.

One area of prayer, that I learned from my mom is to pray for their spouses. My mom began praying for this for my sister and I from the beginning of our lives. This is huge. Its so important that we pray, that we kneel down before Him asking Him to help our sons stay on the right path that will one day lead them to a godly, Christian woman. A woman who walks with Him, fears Him, brings glory to Him and will help my sons be who He calls them to be when they are together. I ask God this every night. I pray that their future wives would remain pure for them and my sons for them. Yes I do. That the choices these ladies make this very day and on would be ones glorifying to Him. I want this for both my sons. And I know, I know nothing is too  big for our God! He can do all things!

"Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

My mom was one who modeled prayer and dependence on the Lord well. And He has been so faithful to her and our family. I remember being young, and would wake up early some mornings and would walk out to the living room, where it was dark, yet the overhead lights would be slightly dimmed. I walked down the hall and there I would see my mom sitting on the couch with her Bible, her notebook and her head was bowed. Back then, as a little girl, I didn't think anything of it. But now. WOW. Such significance! She started her day, before daylight, before doing anything to be with our Lord. And I got to see that! What a godly example. I am so blessed to have been born into this kind of home, one devoted to the Lord. To be raised by such a godly mom and dad, may I never take that for granted. Prayer. So so important.

"Pray without ceasing"
1 Thess. 5:17

Mid October will be the beginning of a prayer group. A group that has been on my mind for over a year now. God put this on my heart, but with having a new baby last October, well I just couldn't do it all. But it remained there, and I allowed it to remain there. To see this come to fruition this next month, I feel so blessed. To have other moms in my home every other week, a mentor mom who I have asked to come, during the morning, for one hour, where we get to pray for one another, for our kids and for our husbands. I know God has awesome plans for this group. I cant wait to see how He will grow us through the years of raising our kids and developing and investing in our marriages to last us a lifetime. I will post much more on this as there is so much to tell, I am just so excited about how God is working all these details out. And for our kids to see and know that mommy is inside praying for our family, amazing what that alone will cultivate in all of their little hearts. Pray for us young moms, will you? 

"For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Matthew 18:20


How has God worked in your life through the power of prayer?

6 comments:

  1. Hi honey! You are so right - prayer is HUGE!! I pray for your boys, along with you and Ryan, every day. I am so blessed that you will be hosting this group in your home - may God deepen each of your individual walks with Him, strengthen your marriages and families! So very cool - God will be there with you! Love you, Mom xoxo 1 Thess 5:16-18

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such great memories of us kiddos being huddled in one of our beds while mom and dad prayed for us and over us. I always remember them mentioning our future spouses and at the time thinking, why are they praying for that? I'm so thankful they did and of course now I understand the importance of such a prayer. I love your heart for the Lord and for Ryan and the boys. I'm so glad you're sharing that heart with us, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right to pray these things for your children starting now!

    Praise the Lord for His work in your life - as a wife, mother, friend. He is using you as you yield to Him.

    Praying along with you.....

    Auntie Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom has been a wonderful example to you just as you are going to be for your own children. I prayed for my children's spouses as well. One hasn't shown up yet. ;> One has and is a wonderful woman, though she doesn't yet know the Lord. Believe me, this is very much on my heart and in my prayers. I remember being in a Prayer Group of young mothers when I was a young mother. It meant so much to me at that time. All God's very best on your group.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Blessings!!