Friday, September 21, 2012

"Ugga Mugga"

I can remember growing up, and having things that we did as a family or things that I did with just my mom/dad that set us apart from other families. It's such a special thing, when as a family, there are things you do that make your family, your family. If that makes sense?

Family as defined by dictionary.com as this, "a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered a group, whether dwelling together or not; the traditional family." Simple, plain and to the point.

Then I came across this quote, "Your family and your love must be cultivated like a garden. Time, effort, and imagination must be summoned constantly to keep any relationship flourishing and growing." Beautiful and true! Jesus was all about relationships and to model after Him is His plan for us. Relationships take time, effort and being cultivated daily, whether young or old.

Family relationships, and memories must be cultivated and nourished. Part of nourishing our family relationships is through memories. It's through the things you do that make your family, your family. It takes effort! It's through the little things. The things that make each day special. Every single day is special. It really is!

Back to my title of this post, "Ugga Mugga." Remember, Mr Rogers Neighborhood? I remember it so well. And now they have come out (PBS) with a show called, "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" which incorporates the sweet things from Mr Rogers. It.'s finally a show filled with great lessons and nothing evil. Cayden and I enjoy turning it on each day, if we are home, and sitting together to watch it. I noticed last week that they say, "Ugga Mugga." Hmmm....what is that? So, I looked it up! It's used to say, "Eskimo kiss!" So sweet. Here at our home we love kisses, and we love Eskimo kisses. Today I started using this phrase, "Ugga Mugga!" It's become our thing. It's something that will set us apart as a family, from other families who might not use/say that. It's something that my sons will remember and maybe pass along one day. Before bed tonight, I said, "Ugga Mugga sweet boy"...and he turned over and placed his nose at mine. It's tender, sweet moments like this that make our family, our family. 

What small thing does your family do, that makes your family, your family? I would love to hear a sweet touch or two that you add to your family!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia~

    It's so nice to visit you here. You have a lovely blog.

    I really appreciated learning about this new PBS program based on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I think children need quiet joys and simple pleasures without a lot of hoopla. Though neither of my own adult children will admit it now, they both loved Mr. Rogers. I may have to watch an episode of the new show myself very soon. I have grands after all.

    Thank you for your visit...

    Vee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, you would be a hit of a grandma to watch this show with your grands!!

      Delete
  2. Would you believe that I played some of the games from the show on PBS kids yesterday? Very cute. (Not sure what the age range is, though. I'm thinking it is for 2–5???) And I'm here to see if things are all good. Snoop that I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 2-5 is probably right! Isn't it cute?! I am
      glad you think so too :-) So fun you played done of the games!! We enjoy playing them as well!

      Delete
  3. Hopefully I fixed the DVR so it would record!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sweet!

    I am trying to think of what things we do that make us "US"...one thing is family identity. We say "Rabe's have big heads" - most of the Rabes do!

    Love you!
    Auntie Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love this show too!! Our new favorite =) I love the Ugga Mugga explanation! So sweet! Thanks for researching that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to add that my parents always had a little night time thing they would say with us and now they say it with our kids before we leave their house. I love it!

    Here's how it goes...and it's said pretty quickly..."Jesus loves you, daddy loves you, mommy loves you, emma (or ethan) loves you, grandma loves you, grandpa loves you, great grandma loves you, all your aunts and uncles and cousins love you! yaayyy!!" It always makes us laugh and cheer! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Blessings!!