Sunday, September 16, 2012

God's Leading: Forgiveness


Psalm 86:4-5

New International Version (NIV)

Bring joy to your servant, Lord,
    for I put my trust in you.
You, Lord, are forgiving and good,
    abounding in love to all who call to you.


As part of my refining journey, forgiveness has definitely played a big role. The Bible certainly is not quiet about the subject of forgiveness. It's so important. It's so healing. As parents its hard to get caught up in the, "we are the parent and we cant be 'wrong'"....But we are wrong, many times. Many times. And to be wrong and not ask our child for forgiveness isn't what God has called us to be like or do. I think something so profound, so valuable can be taught to our children when we parents go to our children and demonstrate the act of forgiveness.  It's a lesson they wont forget. My mom, my dad, who I see as perfect, have asked me to forgive them! Lets face it, from the eyes of a young child, mommy and daddy are their world, they see us as perfect and when they see us fail and admit to it, wow...what an example that we too are not perfect and we need Jesus just as much as they do!

It was last Thursday, an emotional evening. The boys were down for the night and all was calm and quiet. I was reading the Bible and reflecting on what God had been teaching me with our parenting. I need to ask my son for forgiveness, is what was on my heart. I was anxious to hold him and talk to him and ask him for forgiveness for my failures as a mommy to him. One area in particular. A few minutes later, I heard a little cry out. And then another. It was my three year old boy.  I went right in, and he had had a bad dream. I tried getting him back to sleep. And he would fall asleep only to wake five minutes later with a bad dream again. "Do you want to come with me?" I asked him. "Yes mommy." was his reply. I finally picked him up, and carried him out to the living room where I just held him. About a half hour later, he was pretty awake and we were chatting. Right then and there I was so thankful that the Lord had woken him up to be with me. I wanted to ask him for forgiveness, remember? And so I did. That night taught him, that I had been wrong, and I was sorry to him and wanted to do things differently.

But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
James 4:6

Today he remembered that night. Between dirt and tractors, he brought it back up again while playing in the dirt. It was a sweet moment. A moment that showed me that asking him for forgiveness, spoke volumes to him. It touched him. It taught him that even I need Jesus. We are all sinners. 

 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32

Oh to be stripped by our Father. To be pulled apart and asked to change. 

To change dramatically. 

To ask for forgiveness. 

Being called to so much more, casting out my old ways completely humbles me. I stand in awe of the One who changes His children so gently, so lovingly and equips them to more spectacular ways. Ways that are His. Ways that honor Him and bring glory to His kingdom. This is the best Kingdom work I have ever done and ever will do. Someone once told me, "your greatest mission field is right in your home." Amen. I couldn't agree more. 

Thank you Lord, for these days. They are the best yet. You're calling is the best calling of my life. May I always remain kneeling down to the One who called me here.


Kindness by Chris Tomlin

Its Your kindness Lord
That leads us to repentance
Your favor Lord, is our desire
Its Your beauty Lord
That makes us stand in silence
Your love
Your love
Its better than life

3 comments:

  1. Another beautifully honest post. I LOVE the scripture passage you started your post off with. Something I want to meditate on!

    "Being called to so much more, casting out my old ways completely humbles me. I stand in awe of the One who changes His children so gently, so lovingly and equips them to more spectacular ways. Ways that are His"
    Amen! Loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a precious post .....I love your heart and your desire to grow in your walk with the Lord, in every facet of life. Being a Mommy is such a sweet, sweet blessing .....I am so proud of the Mommy you are to your precious boys. They are so blessed to have you!! ILY, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!

    I was thinking the other day that dealing with our children really is a matter of respect. We need to respect them as people - we can hurt them, and we do. But that is when we humble ourselves and ask forgiveness. This does teach our children so much. Too many people think that if we do that our children won't respect us, but the opposite is true!

    Thank you for being humble and teachable.

    Auntie Dee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Blessings!!