Monday, September 24, 2012

Dating Our Kids

I don't know about you, but I live for my dates with my son. And I look forward to the "real" dates with my baby son once he is a tad bit older. And besides, look at this picture, who wouldn't want a date with him?! He is stylish with those shades after all :-)

I think its so. SO. so. important to date our children, to have one on one time with them. Whether it's to their favorite place, to get a treat or even just taking them to the grocery store with you. It's such a special time for them and for us too. We get to know them in a deep way. We get to talk to them, just them with absolutely no distractions. And you know what? It thrills their heart more than we will ever know! The time we spend with our children, we wont ever regret.

I remember about a year ago, when I would take Cayden out on a date, he would look around waiting for me to put his baby brother in the car and when he realized that it was just going to be me and him, his eyes lit up like you have never seen before, it means so much to him. It means so much. And the same is true when he gets to go on a date just he and Daddy. Having one on one time develops a friendship, a bond, a closeness that is priceless and precious.

A mentor of mine, who now has four successful, grown children and who are all family focused and  have great friendships with their parents, instilled dating their kids from the start. And as her sons got older, she would take them on a date and give them the money and they learned how to pay, she taught them to open the doors etc. And when her husband took their daughters on a date, doors were opened for them, dates were paid for by dad etc. I love that it went from taking them on dates as children and gradually as they reached the teen years they were taught the polite ways of growing into an adult while still maintaining a precious friendship with one another.

Growing up, my parents dated my sister and I, one on one as well. It has an impact! One of my best friends is my mom. I can tell her anything, vent to her, pray with her, and get encouragement and love. My dad is amazing and I can remember our dates too. The wisdom I have gained from them is such a blessing. And I still go on dates with them! I love that.

Dating our kids goes a long way. And I am blessed to say that we are starting this early on with our boys. The time we have with them is so short, and getting to know them, hearing them, encouraging them, offering up praise and love. Well there's just nothing like it. There will come a time when I pray. Oh I pray. That my boys will be open to me, that they will see they have no fear in telling me anything. For I will do my best, never to humiliate or judge, but just to guide and love them. And I believe that kind of communication with our children starts with respect, love and one on one time with them. And it starts while they are little. They will know I/we love them no matter what because I too am a sinner and need Jesus just as much. We are in this together! Friendship with our children is a beautiful thing. And the best part? They know you care about them!

I had a date this afternoon with my son, and my heart is blessed and singing from it.

May I always seek to know my children; to be intentional.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
~Proverbs 22:6

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interest of others."
Philipians 2:1-4

5 comments:

  1. Of course you know I LOVE THIS!!! I agree it is so important to "date" your children ...time passes way too quickly and we must be intentional with our children. Investing our hearts and our lives and our time in our children is the BEST EVER! Love you honey, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post Alicia! It's so true!

    Our children blossom through our attention to them. Sarah was mentioning that she wants to go out just the two of us soon! It has been a while and she is longing for it! I think we may go to breakfast alone tomorrow!

    You are starting the open lines of communication with them early and that is so important. Tying heartstrings, listening, building relationships....

    Thank you for blogging all of this Alicia! You are a light to other young mothers who perhaps are only hearing this stuff for the first time!

    Love you!
    Auntie Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Idea, i still remember going out just me and my dad, it was nice being the only one since there was usually 4 of us. and i am sure even then i talked his ear off!=D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo important. Leonard and Allie have a Taco Bell date every week and have had for years. Allie loves shopping with just me. No gramma. No daddy. She talks constantly. So important to just listen on the date. Ask questions. Don't correct. Save that for another time.

    Auntie Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as your Auntie Dee said, you are being a light to other mothers! I love this post Alicia, and need to really be much more intentional when it comes to dating our children. Bob and I have talked about it but haven't yet put it into full practice. I so desire their hearts, and to have that open communication with them!! I also love the advice to not correct during the dates and just listen instead!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Blessings!!