Saturday, October 13, 2012

God's Leading: Technology

I will start off by saying that I have been stewing on this topic for sometime now. I knew I wanted to post about it, but perhaps it is a touchy subject? I also wanted all of my thoughts to have order, somewhat, not sure they will be as I have so many opinions and thoughts on this subject.

A couple of years ago, the Lord flat out opened my eyes to the pitfalls of online social forums. I am so thankful to Him. As my friend Kari, posted on, technology is a love hate relationship. You can read her perfectly said post here. It truly is just that, love hate. There are good aspects to it, but also so many pitfalls.

I was just having dinner with a friend the other evening, and we were talking about how all of this technology is great to have for our kids, but also is so detrimental,. Emotionally, physically, and more importantly spiritually. There are new things out there that are ungodly and we have a war waging against us as Christian parents. The world is screaming at our kids, Satan is getting his foot into their hearts, because we as parents are allowing technology to take over. And lets face it, myself included, at one point in my life, I too was allowing it to take over and take priority. That's a fact. I am so thankful the Lord got my attention.

Over a year and a half ago I quit it all. That's not to point me out and give me a high five. That's just where I stand. I realized I spent more time checking and posting on Face book and telling my son to "wait" or "hold on" and even doing the same to my husband. It sickens me. To have put checking others lives, status', pictures before my family. I recently tried Instagram, and same thing, so I quit it. I personally, lack the self control. I will admit it. God calls us to live humble, quiet lives-Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. James 4:10- and He used a speaker one morning at Mom's group to point this out to me. I listened to her words. "Do things of eternal value." Plain and simple. Was my technology driven focus of "eternal value?" Was seeing what people, who I call my "friends," yet never see them in real life of "eternal value?" No. My "eternal value" was looking me in the face saying, "Mommy, Mommy watch this!" My "eternal value" was baking bread and serving my family.  It was taking time to go see a loved one, to show my son what it means to cook a meal for someone else in need. It was cozying up on the couch for movie night with my hubby. Those are "eternal value." Now don't get me wrong, technology is not a bad thing, for me though, it was. It truly was. My priorities were out of line. And I have to say, not being a part of those social outlets, has enriched my life so much more. I am thankful God has called me to give all of that up. The biggest blessing. I am being refined and  I love it.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."
Phillipians 4:8

Another aspect of technology is the handy dandy, awesome itouch/iphone/ipad. Receiving texts? Quite fun! Helpful at times! But really, majority of texts, can wait. This is one thing in the last two weeks I have been practicing on. Have I failed? Oh yes. But I am trying. Trying hard. Its another thing to ask, does this need my attention over my family? For myself, most text, do not need my immediate attention. I do my best, to  let the the text be and answer or respond later, unless it needs an immediate response. Its one more thing to look at when I need to be looking at and tending to my home and family.

Last week, I had a real life story right in front of my face. I took my two little boys out to eat. I was in the play area with them as we had just had our lunch. I sat there watching a mom who was seated at a table with her two children. The mom got them all situated with their food and then set hers up. But before she began eating, she turned her phone on and held it, scrolling through it. Bite after bite she was on her phone. Her children? Sat there eating. In silence. Not a word was exchanged. Not a WORD. And I am afraid to say, this is becoming the norm. One day, she will want to talk with her children, and they wont want to. Its devastation. Thank you Lord for this example.

Technology, its been such a growth and learning experience for me as a mom. I love this quote from Kari's post:

{"Our children will always know whether they have our full attention. It's time for parents to break the phone habit before it's too late."}  ~Dominique Browning 

I'd like to also add, our husbands to this too.

We need to be the example that we wish our children to follow.


"...they need just us. They need us to put them before the phone conversation, the cleaning, the reading, the whatever. They just need us to smile, to bend down and hug, to laugh with, spend time with, and to just plain pay attention to them. Sometimes they just need us to say to our friend or important person on the phone, 'I’m sorry, can I call you back, my children need me now.'

Our children, just like us, want to be known. They want to be respected. They want to know they matter more than anyone else, because they are ours."  -Sarah Mae, SarahMae.com

I realize, this is one heck of a hard thing to deal with. Sometimes its the initial facing your failure, facing your lack of self control in this technology issue more than anything. It hurts to look back and think of all the times I said, "wait a minute" because I had my nose in my phone, caring more about what so and so is up to. It hurts. But I am so thankful, God got a hold of me, saying, "Alicia, look to me. This is not of eternal value." For me, it wasn't. It was wasted time. I feel free and released now. And God did that for me. If you struggle with this, know that you aren't alone. Come to the cross and lay it down. It might be the best thing you have done!

I would love to hear thoughts on this subject, please do share in the comments. No judgement here.

*Please note, I do not think technology is bad. This is just a post on my thoughts. My experience and what the Lord has called me to do.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Alicia! You were the example I needed to help me follow the Lord as He was leading me to give up Facebook. As you said, it's been freeing! (although I do still find ways to be distracted) I love the question you ask yourself: "Is this of eternal value?" So great! A question I need to ask myself often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, I am so glad we can support one another in this as sisters in Christ. What a blessing for us as friends!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! I struggle at times with this too! Especially now with having a business - I must still stop to look them in the face and to listen, really listen to them! No matter how old they are!

    Let's all keep encouraging each other! Let's not miss those moments.

    Love you!
    Auntie Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Auntie Dee! "no matter the age!" I am so glad we can encourage one another in Christ!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh... you went where angels fear to tread. Technology, like anything, is a balancing act. If one has an addictive personality, as I do, she must be careful because she can get addicted to anything/. I don't do the social networking; I don't do the texting; I do blogging. And it proves over and over to be something to keep in balance with perspective. Addictive personality talking here. That mother would have done better if she had kept her phone closed or, short of that, if she had put the kids at a corner table and sat at the one next to them so they could have at least chatted. That example does make me feel sad. Hope that she comes to before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Vee! My mom and I were chatting last night about this- it can be with anything! Computer, crafting, you name it. Being mindful and balancing it is key!

      Delete
  4. As I am alone most of the time, I do use the social network as a way to build community with those who do not follow Jesus! I am building relationships to the point where I have been able to share scripture with a positive outcome! Also in building these relationships I am invited to visit next year while on mission in Scotland. It is my way of using the talent God has given me to be who I am with these women and share life! It is my mission!

    I totally honor your decision! I had no distractions as a mom of young children and my children prospered in thegrowing up to be Godly men and women! You and Kari and wonderful examples!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Blessings!!